Monday, July 30, 2007

Mark Knopfler | Ragpicker's Dream

RAGPICKER'S DREAM features the same team that Mark Knopfler worked with on Sailing to Philadelphia, but it's a much better album. In fact, it's excellent. The songs are excellent, the playing is excellent, the production is excellent, the sound quality is excellent. Knopfler's reputation (via Dire Straits) as a great rock guitarist is a given, but lately he's making a personal journey through various styles of American roots music. He--and this band--are kings of sublime subtlety. Listen carefully and you'll hear his complete mastery of every style presented here. I've settled on four tracks as my favorites "Hill Farmer's Blues," "You Don't Know You're Born," "Coyote," and "Old Pigweed." You may decide your favorites are different, but I'd say get this CD right away and find out. I'd also say track 12 is Knopfler's subtle response to 9/11 (or is it just Mark's wise old country-gentleman comment on the human race in general?). My friend at the Martin Guitar Factory says it's just about a love affair gone wrong.

Originally posted to SteveForbert.com in December 2002.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This definitely has to be Mark Knopfler's best textured album, the only song on this one I'm not too fond of is "quality shoe", but "What it is" makes up for everything

Jim Jones said...

I bought this album simply because it was recommended here by Steve.
Unlike Rob above, I love "Quality Shoe" but this is probably because(as part of my job) I take parties camping in the Lake district so I really enjoy (and identify with) the comic irony. I also love the first track, Why Aye Man. In the 1980's there was an iconic cult TV series on UK TV called "Auf Wiedersehen, Pet" and this song could easily have been written about the TV programme. The rest of the album is simply terrific, beautifully crafted, subtly understated. It is a very fine album